Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday, August 20, Keswick


Greetings!

Pat stayed home today.  Somehow the idea of accompanying me to the Whitehaven Records Office to  read microfiche records of baptisms, burials, and marriages was not appealing.  She'd rather read the rest of her book on Sir Winston Churchill, walk downtown to the shops, and spend the day leisurely.

By 3pm, I had squinted at the scribblings of 400 years of Ennerdale Valley history for long enough.  At this point, I think I must be approaching my brain's capacity for knowing my family's history in the Lake District over the past 200 years.  But I decided that there's one more thing I needed to do.  We had reserved a dinner at the Hotel for tonight, so I had about three hours to spare.

I drove down into the stretch of the valley where my calculations, a detailed hiker's map, 40 years of census information, several conversations with pub managers and research librarians - led me to believe that I knew where my great grandparents and their children had lived in the latter half of the 19th century.

It took about an hour and a half to find it, and involved some of the narrowest roads I've ever been on (and negotiating many cars passing on them), but here's the photos of the houses I think they livd in.

Where the Fearon family lived their lives in England

Gregory



No comments: